- A man pointing to a photo says “The lady in the photograph is my nephew’s maternal grandmother”. How is the lady in the photograph related to the man’s sister who has no other sister ?
Explanation: Since the man is referring to his nephew, the nephew’s parent has to be a sibling to the man. Now the last part says that the man’s sister has no other sister and hence the brother-sister relationship is established between the man and his nephew’s mother. Now the lady in the picture is the grandmother of the nephew and hence she is the mother of the man’s sister.
- A woman going with a boy is asked by another person about the relationship between them. The woman replied ,”My maternal uncle and the uncle of his maternal uncle is the same”. How are the woman and the boy related?
a)Grandmother and Grandson
b)Mother and Son
c)Aunt and Nephew
d)None of these
Explanation: he woman’s maternal uncle and the uncle of the boy’s maternal uncle is the same.(Maternal uncle of the boy)’s parent is the sibling of maternal uncle of the woman.It implies that the woman’s mother, woman’s maternal uncle and the boy’s maternal uncle’s parent are siblings.So the woman and the maternal uncle of the boy are are cousins.So are the woman and the mother of the boy.As they are cousins, the boy is the woman’s nephew and the woman is the boy’s aunt.
- Pointing out to a lady, Raja said ,”She is the daughter of the woman who is the mother of the husband of my mother”. Who is the lady to Raja ?
Explanation: Mother’s husband is my Father ;
My Father’s mother is my Grandmother ;
My Grandmother’s daughter is my Father’s sister,
Father’s sister is my Aunt
- Pointing towards a person a man said to a woman “His mother is the only daughter of your father . How is the woman related to that person?
Explanation: The only daughter of woman’s father is she herself. So the person is the woman’s son, that is the woman is the person’s mother .
- Pointing to a lady in a photograph ,Shaloo said , “Her son’s father is the son-in-law of my mother”, How is Shaloo related to the lady ?
d)Cannot be determined
Explanation: Lady’s son’s father is lady’s husband. So the lady’s husband is the son-in-law of Shaloo’s mother that is the lady is the daughter of Shaloo’s mother. Hence, Shaloo can either be the sister of the lady or can also be considered as the lady herself.
Thus the answer cannot be determined.
- Rita told Mani, “The girl i met yesterday at the beach was the youngest daughter of the brother-in-law of my friend’s mother”. How is the girl related to Rita’s friend ?
Explanation: The relation may be analysed as follows
Daughter of brother-in-law is my Niece :
My Mother’s niece is my Cousin
So the girl is the cousin of Rita’s friend
- When Manoj saw Ashok, he recalled, that Ashok was the son of the father of the mother of his daughter. What is Ashok to Manoj?
Explanation: The Mother of my daughter is my wife. Son of father of wife is the brother of wife i.e. brother-in-law.
Ashok is the brother-in-law of Manoj.
- Showing the man receiving the prize Seema said, “He is the brother of my uncle’s daughter”. What is the man to Seema?
Explanation: Brother of my uncle’s daughter is my uncle’s son, who is my cousin. i.e. The man is Seema’s cousin.
- Prakash is the son of Pramod. Neha is the daughter of Abhishek. Ruchi is the mother of Neha. Awadhesh is the brother of Neha. How is Awadhesh related to Ruchi?
d)Cannot be determined
Explanation: Neha is the daughter of Abhishek and Ruchi.
Abhiskek and Ruchi are husband and wife respectively.
Awadhesh is the brother of Neha and hence, he is the son of Abhishek and Ruchi.
- A + B means A is the father of B, A – B means A is the wife of B, A x B means A is the brother of B,
A / B means A is the daughter of B.
If P / R + S + Q, which of the following is true ?
a)P is the daughter of Q
b)P is the aunt of Q
c)Q is the aunt of P
d)P is the mother of Q
Explanation: From the given data we conclude that S is the father of Q and P/R denotes that P is the daughter of R and R is the father of S, which makes P as Q’s aunt.