Daily Current Affairs – 29 June and 30 June 2015
- Ninth National Statistics Day was observed on 29th June 2015 in India with an theme of “Social Development” on birth anniversary of late Prof. Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis who was Indian Bengali scientist and applied statistician.
- India and Thailand inked five MoUs during the 7th Meeting of India-Thailand Joint Commission in Bangkok in presence of External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand Gen Tanasak Patimapragor. These MoU’s are :
a) Agreed Minutes of the Seventh Meeting of the Thailand-India Joint Commission for Bilateral Cooperation
b) Exchange of Instruments of Ratification of the Treaty on Extradition
c) Establishment of Nalanda University
d) Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to taxes on Income.
e) Establishment of the “Academic Chair” in Ayurveda.
By signing this agreement, Thailand joins other East Asian Summit countries in the establishment of and revival of an ancient center of learning at Nalanda.
- Prataprao Pawar, Chairman of Sakal Media Group (SMG) was honoured with Punyabhushan Award by President Pranab Mukharjee. A committee led by scientist Raghunath Mashelkar had selected his name for this award. Award was given in a function held at Balgandharva Auditorium in Pune. Thus he became 27th recipient of this award.
- Union Government approved 643 crore rupees drinking water and sewerage project for Shimla town for World Bank funding. In which 514 crore rupees loan will be provided by World bank and rest will be provided by state over a project period of three years.
- Union Government in June 2015 increased the national floor-level minimum wage (NFLMW) to 160 rupees per day from 137 rupees per day and aims he Union Government in June 2015 increased the national floor-level minimum wage (NFLMW) to 160 rupees per day from 137 rupees per day. The new rate will be effective from 1 July 2015. If states revise their minimum wages as per the new NFLMW, the decision is expected to benefit millions of workers in the scheduled employments in the respective state jurisdictions. The new rate will be effective from tomorrow i.e., 1 July 2015. If states revise their minimum wages as per the new NFLMW, the decision is expected to benefit millions of workers in the scheduled employments in the respective state jurisdictions.
- Rahul Agarwal appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of Lenovo, India operations. He succeeds Amar Babu who has been promoted to regional mandate as Chief operating Officer (COO), Asia Pacific and Chairman of Lenovo India.
- In United Nations Public Service Award 2015, Nadia district in West Bengal has won in the category of improving delivery of public services for or eliminating open defecation in the district. It also be noted that Nadia district is the first open defecation free district in India and achieved this feat by making toilets available for all under state governments flagship programme Sabar Shouchagar (Toilets for All). The award was presented by the acting Secretary General of the UN Lenni Montiel to District Magistrate of Nadia and Sabhapati of Nadia Zilla Parishad in Medellin, Colombia.
- Chennai Metro service was inaugurated by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa by flagged off inaugural train. The first phase of Metro service covers the 10-km overhead (elevated) stretch. It connects Alandur in south Chennai to Koyabedu in the north. The metro service will bear capacity of 1276 passengers with four coaches. It will cover seven stations in the stretch. They are Koyambedu, Arumbakkam, Vadapalani, Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus, Ashok Nagar, Ekkattuthangal.
- Elephant Census Report 2015 of Odisha was released by Forest and Environment Minister Bikram Keshari Arukh. Elephant population in Odisha increased to 1954 from 1930 recorded in 2012 Census. The highest number of elephants 487 was recorded in Similipal Tiger Reserve followed by Satkosia Tiger Reserve with 234 elephants. Mayurbhanj, Mahanadi and Sambalpur have a total of 1450 elephants (74.21%) were recorded. These areas have eight sanctuaries while in 5 other sanctuaries: 102 elephants (5.22%). Outside ERs and outside sanctuaries: 402 elephants (20.57%).
- A national level museum of Sikh heritage will be setup in Lakhnaur Sahib village close to Ambala City, Punjab inaugurated by Ratan Lal Kataria, MP. Lakhnaur Sahib is a historical village as the mother of tenth Sikh guru Guru Gobind Singh, Mata Gujari belonged to the place. Guru Gobind Singh had also spent a few years of his childhood in the village.
- Varttavali is the name of the new Sanskrit News program launched by Doordarshan. It is a weekly program and will focus on news, features and discussions on events around the world and will be conducted in Sanskrit.
- Vishwanath Tripathi was chosen for 28th Moorti Devi Award for the year 2014. He was selected for his book Vyomkesh Darvesh, which is a lifetime story of Acharya Hazari Prasad Dwivedi.
- 50 Nations including India have signed 60 article agreement of China-led multilateral Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB). It will be operational by end of 2015. It is seen as a rival to the World Bank and Asian Development Bank (ADB) which managed by most prominent countries like US, Japan and European etc. They have been allocated their capital share on quota basis i.e. based on their economic size and designed to infrastructure projects including energy, transport and infrastructure projects in Asia.
The 60-article agreement provides the legal framework for Institution of AIIB.
a) Each member’s capital share and voting share.
b) Governance structure of AIIB.
c) Policy-making mechanism of AIIB.
Australia was the first country to sign the agreement and was followed by 49 other members. Indian Ambassador Ashok Kantha signed the agreement on behalf of country. India is the second largest shareholder with 8.52 per cent stake and voting share of 7.5 per cent and Russia is third largest shareholder with 6.66 stake and voting share of 5.92 per cent. The topmost one is China is highest contributor to AIIB with 29.78 billion US dollars i.e. with a 30.34 percent stake in authorized capital.
- Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the Integrated Security System (ISS) at four railway stations in Mumbai comprising Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), Dadar, Kurla and Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (LTT) with a total cost of 21.72 crore rupees. The ISS is aimed at improving security on Railway premises, ensuring safety of the people and averting terror attacks. A network of CCTV cameras at six railway stations comprising CST, Dadar, Kurla, LTT, Kalyan and Thane with total of 118 CCTV cameras that will beam the live images of railway stations under its coverage on six monitors. The ministry also inaugurated a modified foot over bridge (FOB) to facilitate passenger movement at Diva and another FOB at Vithalwadi apart from laying the foundation stone of a multi-level two-wheeler parking at Thane.
- ITU conference decided on 5G standard held at San Diego in California of USA between 10 June and 18 June 2015 and will be confirmed in October 2015, following approval from the 193 ITU member countries. Speed of 5G (Fifth Generation) standard for mobile networking is as 20 Gigabits per second (Gbps) which is 20 times faster than the 1Gbps specification for 4G. The technology is expected to open up access to higher resolution 4K video content and holographic technology via mobile networks.
- Satnam Singh Bhamara, 19 years from Punjab became the first Indian national to join National Basketball Association (NBA) of USA. He was the 52nd overall pick at the 2015 draft by the Dallas Mavericks. He will represent the team during the upcoming 2015-16 season. He is 7ft 2inch tall and weighs 110 kg.
- Ajinkya Rahane is going to lead Team India for the Zimbabwe tour as selectors announced the 15 member squad for upcoming Zimbabwe tour next month. Harbhajan Singh made a comeback to the one day international team after four years and Robin Uthapa also returned to the team. Other members are Murali Vijay, Ambati Rayudu, Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Manoj Tiwary. Senior players including Dhoni and Virat are rested for the tour.
- Brazilian racer Nelson Piquet Jr clinched FIA Formula E Championship title of the 2014-15 seasons. He was driving for Chinese team Nextev. Piquet drove for Chinese team Nextev. It is the first such championship held by FIA, the global governing body for auto racing events. The first race was held in the Chinese capital Beijing in September 2014 and the championship included 11 races held in 10 different host cities.
- Former Prime minister Yevgeny Primakov passed away in Moscow after a prolonged illness. He was 85. He had served as PM for just eight months between September 1998 and May 1999.
- At IBPS Preparation,We provide pathway for any candidate who wishes to shine in the recruitment process of IBPS.
- Announcements2017.09.06Recruitment Application for IBPS Clerk VII is out for Vacancies of 2018-19
- Announcements2017.08.30What to Expect for IBPS PO Prelims Exam 2017 (Important Topics)
- General Awareness2017.08.22Most Asked Questions about the President of India
- Announcements2017.08.14Application for Common Recruitment for Recruitment of Probationary Officers / Management Trainees