Daily Current Affairs – 14 June 2015
- Today observed as World Blood Donor Day (WBDD) across the world to raise awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products, and to thank blood donors for their voluntary, life-saving gifts of blood. It is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO), along with World Health Day, World Tuberculosis Day, World Immunization Week, World Malaria Day, World No Tobacco Day, World Hepatitis Day, and World AIDS Day. Themes of World Blood Donor Day (WBDD) of recent years are as follows:
2015: Thank you for saving my life.
2014: Safe blood for saving mothers
2013: Give the gift of life
2012: Every blood donor is a hero
This year’s 2015 campaign encourages donors all over the world to donate blood voluntarily and regularly with the slogan Give freely, give often. Blood donation matters.
- NDA government has given citizenship to around 4,300 Hindus and Sikhs from Pakistan and Afghanistan in one year. The citizenship to these refugees have been given at the initiative of Home Minister Rajnath Singh following BJP’s declared policy that India is a “natural home for persecuted Hindus” who will be welcome to seek refuge. There are around two lakh Hindu and Sikh refugees from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan currently living in India.
- HAO Logistics Co. Ltd and China, joint venture Company launched to runs the freight service train between its northeastern city of Harbin and Europe with 9 containers of domestic goods such as electronic products and auto parts worth US 3 million dollars started its journey from Harbin capital of Heilongjiang province. The 9,820-km-long distance rail route will open new trade options for Chinese goods in the European Market. It will run once a week. Each single trip will take 15 days and it will transport goods from China, South Korea and Japan as well as goods from European countries such as Poland, Germany, Spain, France and Italy.
- Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) released a list of its 10 candidates for the biennial elections to the 24 Legislative Council of Bihar on July 7 as part of the ‘secular alliance’ forged by JD(U), RJD, Congress and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP). They will be pitted against NDA contestants. The names of the candidates,
1) Mishri Lal Yadav will contest from Darbhanga,
2) Roma Bharti from Samastipur,
3) Dilip Rai from Sitamarhi-cum-Sheohar,
4) Kalawati Devi from East Champaran,
5) Vinod Kumar from Siwan
6) Subodh Kumar from Vaishali
7) Vinay Prasad from Aurangabad
8) Mahanth Satyadev Das from Gopalganj
9) Sanjay Prasad from Munger-Jamui-Lakhisarai-Sheikhpura
10) Radha Charan Sah from Bhojpur and Buxar.
- Indian Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP) launched by Jitendra Singh, Minister of State (MoS) in the Department of Atomic Energy of costing Rs.1,500 crore as per the mandatory provision under the Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act (CLND), 2010 in New Delhi. Through this India became 27th nuclear insurance pool in the world that managing nuclear liabilities and India has joined an exclusive list of countries having nuclear pools. It will be set up by General Insurance Corporation (GIC) of India and 11 other non-life insurers which includes New India, Oriental Insurance, National Insurance and United India Insurance from the public sector apart from private insurance companies. It will address third party liability insurance in a bid to offset financial burden of foreign nuclear suppliers under the CLNDA, 2010.
- Arun Jaitley, Union finance minister will leave on a 10-day US visit to meet US secretary of treasury Jacob Lew, foreign institutional investors (FIIs) and US industry leaders at New York, Washington and San Francisco cities with the US-India Business Council. India has received $1.82 billion in foreign direct investment from the US in 2014-15. He will interact with the officials of the New York Stock Exchange, meet FIIs and address students of two institutes.
- Indian Railways has submitted its final report to the Union Ministry of Railways by Bibek Debroy Committee with seven cabinet members committee (Bibek Debroy, K M Chandrasekhar, Gursharan Das, Ravi Narain, Partha Mukhopadhyay, Rajendra Kashyap, Ajay Tyagi and Ajay Narayan Jha) on the restructuring of Indian Railways in which the following points will be consider as follows:
a) No privatization of Indian Railway but allowed participation of private sector in the railway projects.
b) There is need to improve the internal resource generation and explore varied methods of financing but also to improve utilisation of available resources.
c) Establishment of an independent regulator Railway Regulatory
d) State governments should be asked to entirely fund the Government Railway Police (GRP).
e) Authority of India (RRAI) with a separate budget and to be independent of the Ministry.
f) Decision on tariffs to revamp the cash-strapped railways by RRAI.
g) Railway Budget should be phased out with gross budgetary support to Indian Railways.
h) General Managers should have the freedom to choose between private security guards and RPF for security on trains.
i) Separation of activities like running of hospitals, schools, real estate development, catering, manufacturing of locomotives, coaches and wagons from the core business of running trains.
- Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad announced that BSNL will launch free roaming, starting tomorrow, which will allow all its mobile customers across the country to receive incoming calls at no cost and The Company also clarified that it has not received any communication from sectoral regulator TRAI regarding the roaming scheme and TRAI has no objection to it.
- Vodafone has increased pre-paid data tariff for 2G and 3G services in Delhi NCR by up to 47%, while MTS hiked rates of post-paid data pack by 8% due to March spectrum auction wherein Tele-companies had paid around Rs 1.1 lakh crore to acquire airwaves. Earlier, Bharti Airtel and Idea Cellular had increased the tariffs for mobile data. Vodafone has increased the price of its 3G pack of 10 GB data to Rs 1,847 with a validity of 28 days from Rs 1,255 earlier.
- India is set to acquire a prime property here for where Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian Constitution and dalit rights activist, lived during his student days in the 1920s. A blue plaque commemorates the fact that Ambedkar lived there in 1921-22 when he was studying at London School of Economics (LSE). The cost of the London property, likely to be borne by the Maharashtra government, is estimated between 3.2 million pounds and 4 million pounds as the 2,050 sq feet three-storey house is in one of London’s prime locations went up for sale through an estate agent last year.
- Lion Academy Trust’s Barclay Primary School in Leyton, east London, sent a letter to parents stating its belief that the health of young children could be compromised if they were deprived of sustenance and water and banned Muslim students at four schools in London from fasting during Ramzan on grounds that it would endanger their health and cited that under Islamic law children are not required to fast. The school letter, signed by “Mr. Wright, Acting Head of School” and posted on the school and trust websites, says that school officials “sought guidance” and learned that Islamic law does not require children to fast.
- Sheila Kaul passed away in New Delhi. She was 101. She was Former Himachal Pradesh governor from 1995 t0 1996 and ex-union minister as Minister of State (MoS) for Culture, Education and Social Welfare (Independent Charge) from1980–84 in Indira Gandhi Government. She was married to renowned botanist Kailash Nath Kaul. Kaul is survived by sons Gautam Kaul, a retired IPS officer, and Vikram Kaul, an international sports administrator, besides daughter Deepa Kaul, a former information minister in Uttar Pradesh.
- Dr Suresh Gadasalli, a renowned cardiologist was shot dead in Texas. Dr Gadasalli was a graduate of the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College in Belgaum (1982 batch), was an immensely popular cardiologist, as attested by tributes that poured in on the local press and social media. He was much loved by his patients and a respected community leader who had given generously to many charitable causes and also made political contributions.
- At IBPS Preparation,We provide pathway for any candidate who wishes to shine in the recruitment process of IBPS.
- Announcements2018.06.06IBPS CRP RRBs VII Notification has been Released
- Announcements2018.03.05Equip Yourself with Niche Skills – Take a Giant Leap for your Career
- English2018.03.05How to Prepare for English Section of SSC CGL and IBPS PO Simultaneously?
- Announcements2018.02.06Top Universities for Finance Aspirants