Daily Current Affairs – 12th February 2015
- Today’s Darwin Day internationally. It was observed by various groups and individuals to commemorate the anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin on 12 February 1809. The day is used to highlight Darwin’s contribution to science and to promote science in general. The celebrations of Darwin’s work and tributes to his life have been organized sporadically since his death on 19 April 1882, at age 73. Events took place at Down House, in Downe on the southern outskirts of London where Darwin and members of his family lived from 1842 until the death of his wife, Emma Darwin, in 1896.
- Today’s Red Hand Day in United Nation. It is an annual commemoration day on which pleas are made to political leaders and events are staged around the world to draw attention to the fates of child soldiers, children who are forced to serve as soldiers in wars and armed conflicts. The aim of Red Hand Day is to call for action against this practice, and support for children who are affected by it. Children have been used repeatedly as soldiers in recent years including armed conflicts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Uganda, Sudan, Myanmar, Philippines, Colombia, and Palestine. A number of international organizations are active against the use of children as soldiers. These organizations include, for example, the United Nations Child Fund (UNICEF), Amnesty International, Terre des Hommes or the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement to summarize by the Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration. This protocol was adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations in May 2000 and currently has signatures from over 100 different states.
- Today’s Abraham Lincoln Birthday and called Lincoln’s Birthday. It is observed on the anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s birth on February 12, 1809 and significance is in Honors 16th President of the United States. There is a legal holiday in some U.S. states, including Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, New Jersey, and New York. On September 29, 2008, the Senate and General Assembly of New Jersey enacted The Public Employee Pension and Benefits Reform Act of 2008 (Section 36 of P.L.1995, c.259 (C.52:14-17.31a)) eliminating Lincoln’s Birthday as a public holiday for the purposes of conducting State government business, an act which also amended and supplemented various parts of retirement and other benefits for certain public employees. In other states, a celebration of Lincoln’s birthday is combined with a celebration of Washington’s Birthday or as part of Presidents’ Day. These celebrations occur on the same day as the Federal holiday, the third Monday of February, and not on Washington’s or Lincoln’s actual birthday.
- Today’s National Freedom to Marry Day in United States holiday. It is a non-official celebration held annually to promote same-sex marriage. The holiday was founded in 1999 by Lambda Legal, a gay rights advocacy law firm based out of Washington, DC.
- Arvind Kejriwal designate Delhi CM from AAP today meet with Prime Minister Narendra Modi at official residence – 7, Race Course Road – on Thursday morning at 10:30 AM with Manish Sisodia, MLA, AAP. Sisodia said they will discuss on complete statehood to Delhi and invited the PM for the swearing-in but he said that it would not be possible for him to attend it due to prior commitments on which PM replied he has the official tour to Maharashtra on 14th Feb and he will think on the issue of giving complete statehood to Delhi.
- India’s annual consumer inflation accelerated to 5.11 per cent in January from 4.28 per cent a month ago, after the government shifted to a new base year for calculating prices, government data.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has crossed the 10 million mark in terms of number of followers on the popular social media platform Twitter.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi wished each and every player of Indian cricket team playing in the World Cup in a series of tweets and posted 15 tweets for the 15-member Indian squad, who will open their World Cup title defence against arch-rivals Pakistan on February 15. He has given the slogan with best wishes to the Indian Cricket Team. खेलो दिल से, वर्ल्ड कप लाओ फिर से!
His Tweets are as follows:
My best wishes to captain cool @msdhoni. Play hard, lead well & make India proud. Knowing you, I am sure you will — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
I wish our flamboyant vice captain @imVkohli the very best for the upcoming campaign. The entire nation has a lot of hopes on him — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
Best wishes @SDhawan25! Give India a wonderful start every time you step on the pitch. Score many many runs, we are all there to cheer you — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
The only batsman to score 2 double centuries in ODIs, @ImRo45’s talent has millions of fans. Make us proud once again! — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
I wish you the very best my young friend @ajinkyarahane88. Have a wonderful World Cup. Make the most of this great opportunity — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
Suresh Raina has always been agile on the field & hard-hitting with the bat. Hit them out of the park, including the bouncers 🙂 @ImRaina — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
Have a great tournament @RayuduAmbati. I am sure you will keep the runs coming & play a key role in the tournament. — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
Who is not a fan of Sir Jadeja? We all look forward to seeing your all round performances take India to victory! @imjadeja — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
The young Axar Patel can trick the batsmen with his sharp spin & bounce. Give your best & play without pressure! — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
Best of luck @BhuviOfficial! Swing every match in our favour. Your breakthroughs will determine how fast we will win those matches! — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
Our young fast bowler Mohit Sharma can bowl a great line & length. He is a great asset to the team. Best of luck. — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
I wish my young & extremely talented friend, Mohammed Shami the very best for the World Cup. Play well & get those wickets. — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
Stuart Binny’s recent all round performances have impressed all. We wish him all the best for the World Cup. — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
Good luck @y_umesh. Bowl out the batsmen with your impressive speed & reverse swing. — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
I am sure your spin bowling will surprise the batsman & give us victory. Play well @Ashwinravi99! My good wishes. — Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 12, 2015
- The Rajkot district administration has removed the idol of Narendra Modi from the temple after the Prime Minister himself expressed his disapproval. Modi, in his tweets, advised those behind the idea of building a temple in his name to devote their time and resources towards fulfilling the dream of a Clean India and he was shocked at the news that a temple dedicated to him was built in his home state Gujarat. Ramesh Undhad, the man behind making of the temple in the name of Narendra Modi in Rajkot, decided to cancel its inauguration and cover the bust.
- The Brigade of The Guards and the Sikh Regiment awarded as best Marching Contingents Trophy for Republic Day Parade 2015 by Chairman Chief of Staff Committee, Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha during an award ceremony held at Ministry of Defence. Cash awards were also presented to the contingents of the Brigade of the Guards and Sikh Regiment in a separate ceremony.
- Senior IPS officer Krishna Chaudhary took charge as the Director General (DG) of the border guarding force Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) by succeeded Subhas Goswami. He is a 1979-batch Bihar cadre IPS officer.
- Atrocity Tracking and Monitoring (ATM) System, a web based tool launched by National Dalit Movement for Justice (NDMJ) to monitor atrocities against Dalits and Adivasis & to deliver speedy justice in this the person login on website and send a message on it after which the circle will be automatically detected by the website and a message will be sent to the concerned authority to facilitate necessary action against the case after the validation.
- Flipboard launched a Web Browser Version of its software for PC. Users can log in to the new web version to access the same curated content as on their mobile platforms. It is designed to detect and automatically adjust to the different screen sizes of PCs.
- West Bengal Chief Minister (CM) Mamata Banerjee launched Micro Business Credit Card of the State Bank of India to boost the Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector in the state. Small and medium entrepreneurs will be able to avail the cash credit or loan up to 5 lakh rupees for their business activities, even without collateral security with the help of this card.
- FIR has lodged against director Karan Johar and actors Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor for their participation in the controversial ‘AIB Roast’. The complaint has been filed by a Lucknow convener of Rashtriya Shahari Vikas Samiti Kailash Chandra Pandey and reasoned that the controversial video has ‘vulgar’ content and goes ‘against Indian culture’. A case under section 294 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) (for obscene acts or words in public) and section 66 of the IT Act (for sending offensive messages through communication service, etc.) has been filed against Karan, Ranveer and Arjun based on the complaint filed with additional chief judicial magistrate (ACJM-1) Suchi Srivastava. The activist revealed that he watched the video when he found his nine-year-old son saw it on a mobile phone after it was downloaded from YouTube.
- Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh of Himachal Pradesh launched a project named Crime and Criminal Tracking Network System. It will help in connecting 177 sites and 114 police stations in the state besides 26 sub-divisional police officers, 13 district headquarters and three police ranges along with state crime records bureau along with the CID crime branch, 16 CCTNS training centers, 14 control rooms, forensic science laboratory and finger print bureau in the state.
- President of India Pranab Mukherjee will open Rashtrapati Bhavan’s “Udyanotsav” for public viewing on February13, 2015 evening. Public can visit Mughal Gardens from Feb.14 till March 15 between 9.30 am to 4pm.
- Patna High Court ordered that he can continue as the leader of Janata Dal United Legislative Party on a review petition filed by JDU against the court’s order that had stayed Nitish’s election. Nitish has suffered a temporary setback as the High Court stayed his election as JDU Legislative Party leader after some leaders close to Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi, who has been expelled by the party, took legal recourse to stop the former form staking claim to form government in the state. Manjhi has been claiming that he is still Bihar’s CM but Nitish and his supporters have demanded that Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi call a special session of the Assembly and allow a floor test. The former CM had also met President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday in New Delhi and asked him to intervene and resolve the political tussle.
- Delhi High Court directed that the Utkal B1 and B2 mines, which the government had consolidated for the purpose of the auction, be demerged and taken off the auction and asked the government to halt the auction of two coal mines attached to a Jindal Steel and Power Ltd (JNSP.NS) steel plant, a move that could prompt more companies to go to court and potentially derail plans to auction more than a hundred coal blocks before March 31. Jindal Steel had challenged the government’s decision to change the end use of its Gare Palma IV/6 and Utkal B1 and B2 mines in the states of Chhattisgarh and Odisha, saying it had invested more than 300 billion rupees ($4.80 billion) in setting up plants fed by the mines.
- Supreme Court, A bench headed by CJI HL Dattu has restrained police from arresting social activist Teesta Setalvad till Friday after senior advocate Kapil Sibal submitted that the Gujarat police is hell bent on arresting her. The FIR against Teesta and Javed said that both the accused in the guise of collecting funds in the name of their NGO Sabrang Trust to set up a museum for victims of the 2002 communal riots in Gujarat at the site of Gulbarga housing society had allegedly misappropriated the funds and cheated the complainant. The FIR also invoked Section 72A of the Information Technology Act for disclosure in breach of lawful contract.
- Grasim Industries Limited approved the proposed merger of Aditya Birla Chemicals (India) Limited (ABCIL) with Grasim and get one share of 10 rupees each of Grasim for every 16 shares of 10 rupees each, they hold in ABCIL. 14.62 lakh new shares will be issued by Grasim, which will help the company to increase its share capital to 93.31 crore rupees. It has approval of the high court and regulatory authorities.
- Consumer Appliance Company Godrej and Boyce (GBMCL) will soon roll out customized colour and design selection for online buyers across its product range keeping at par with the global trends by mid 2015, we will come up with this feature too at a little extra cost.
- Uber had introduced two new India-specific safety features mobile application-based taxi aggregator. The features include panic buttons and in-app tracking tools. It will now have a send status feature, where passengers can share details about the driver and the vehicle with their friends and family and allow access to GPS tracking of their taxi to their kin, and share information like the driver’s photograph, name and vehicle licence number.
- The Emmy and Golden Globe winning comedian Jerry Seinfeld is set to perform in India next month, marking his first ever performance in Asia.
- Microsoft acquired Sunrise for 100 million US dollars. He is the maker of one of the top calendar apps for iOS and Android. This app will remain in market and free after the acquisition. It will continue to support a wide range of third-party apps and calendar services.
- 7th round of India Kenya Joint Trade Committee (JTC) meet was held in New Delhi led by Minister of State for Commerce & Industry (Independent Charge) Nirmala Sitharaman while Ambassador Amina C Mohamed, Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Trade of Kenya to meet often to ensure enhancement of bilateral trade and mutual cooperation. Through this strengthen the cooperation in the fields of bilateral investment, tourism, SMEs, pharmaceuticals, health, energy, skill development & entrepreneurship and many more fields.
- Eight Pakistan players, including former captain Shahid Afridi, have been fined for breaching a team curfew ahead of their crucial World Cup game against India and also been warned that a repeat offence will see them kicked out of the tournament which starts on Saturday. Captain Shahid Afridi and opener Ahmed Shehzad, were fined 300 Australian dollars (US $230) after they came late to their Sydney hotel on Sunday. Pakistan is placed in Group B of the 14-team World Cup which starts in New Zealand and Australia from Saturday. These players went with their friends for dinner but came back late claimed the players arrived 45 minutes late after a night out said by manager Naveed Cheema, a former military man.
- United States have announced the formation of a new cyber security agency, the new Cyber Threat Intelligence Integration Center (CTIIC), to respond to enhanced cyber threats and foil cyber attacks by sharing intelligence across agencies during a crisis. It will be created as part of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and will be structured like the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) with a staff of about 50 people and have a budget of 35 million US dollars.
- United States closed its embassy in Yemen.
- An Egyptian judge has ordered the release of two Al-Jazeera English journalists, demanding that the Canadian defendant pay a $33,000 bail, pending their retrial and release of all defendants at the retrial’s opening on Thursday. The fiance of Canadian journalist Mohamed Fahmy cheered in jubilation: “Long Live Justice.” The three initially were sentenced to at least seven years before a retrial was ordered.
- 35th National Games mascot Ammu, The Great Hornbill has been named in Limca Book of Records. It is placed in the records for its play, featuring the bird in lead role, Kalikkunna Kuttikalkkayi Bharatham Kathirikkunnu means India Awaits Children Who Play. The play was staged in 147 schools across seven districts in the southwestern state.
- In National Games 2015, the following highlights are
Haryana is at 2nd place with 30 gold.
Maharashtra is at 3rd place with 27 gold.
Punjab get the honors in the women’s section.
Services win the men’s Hockey title
Services way ahead of the rest with 107 medals including 66 gold.
- At IBPS Preparation,We provide pathway for any candidate who wishes to shine in the recruitment process of IBPS.
- Announcements2017.07.22IBPS Announces the Common Recruitment Process for Recruitment of Officers (Scale-I, II & III) and Office Assistant (Multipurpose) in RRB’s – CRP RRB’s VI
- Announcements2017.07.11Bandhan Bank Recruitment Notification 2017 for 5000 Vacancies – Exam Pattern & Syllabus
- Cloze Test2017.07.03Cloze Test – 3 for Banking Exams
- Cloze Test2017.07.03Cloze Test – 2 for Banking Preparation