Daily Current Affairs – 11th February 2015
- Today’s Inventor’s day in United States. It is a day of the year set aside by a country to recognize the contributions of inventors do so with varying degrees of emphasis and on different days of the year. United States recognize Ronald Regan on this day. He was President of the United States proclaimed February 11, 1983 as National Inventors’ Day, the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities. In recognition of the enormous contribution inventors make to the nation and the world, the Congress, pursuant to Senate Joint Resolution 140 (Public Law 97 – 198), has designated February 11, the anniversary of the birth of the inventor Thomas Alva Edison, who held over 1,000 patents, as National Inventors’ Day.
- Today’s National Foundation Day in Japan. It is based on celebrating the foundation of Japan and the accession of its first Emperor, Emperor Jimmu. The origin of National Foundation Day is New Year’s Day in the traditional lunisolar calendar. On that day, the foundation of Japan by Emperor Jimmu was celebrated based on Nihonshoki, which states that Emperor Jimmu ascended to the throne on the first day of the first month. Currently the events associated with earlier Kigensetsu, celebrations for National Foundation Day are relatively muted. Customs include the raising of Japanese flags and reflection on the meaning of Japanese citizenship. The holiday is still relatively controversial however, and very overt expressions of nationalism or even patriotism are rare.
- Arvind Kejriwal today met with Venkaiya Naidu for authorization of unauthorized colonies in Delhi and Home Minister Rajnath Singh for giving complete authority by declaring Delhi a state.
- Upcoming Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal refused to take security cover. AAP leader Kumar Vishwas also told NDTV that the Z security was not police security but they were informers. Even the personnel who have been placed on security duty for Arvind Kejriwal are saying it is meant to track his movements.
- Delhi’s chief minister-designate Arvind Kejriwal met President Pranab Mukherjee and thanked him for his “blessings and guidance” in turn, President gifted Kejriwal two books -‘Constitution of India’ and ‘Thoughts and Reflections’
- Delhi Chief Minister-designate is also scheduled to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 12, 2015 and invite him for the swearing-in. “We had sought time from the Prime Minister; Kejriwal will be meeting him tomorrow at 10.30 AM. He will also extend an invitation to him for the oath ceremony on February 14, 2015. Kejriwal also invitation through FM radio advertisement released late on February 10, 2015 evening, the AAP chief also appealed to Delhi residents to flock to the venue where he had taken oath in December 2013. AAP swept to power in Delhi winning a mind boggling 67 seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly leaving just three for the Bharatiya Janata Party with the Congress drawing a blank.
- Income Tax notice has been served on the basis of issues raised by the Aam Aadmi Volunteer Action Manch (AVAM) which claimed AAP knowingly accepted funds from bogus firms and explain donations of over Rs 2 crore to the party. The concerned companies are also likely to be scrutinised. Notices by the I-T department are routine practices and are a matter of procedure.
- According to a report by Delhi Election Watch and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) based on the self-sworn affidavits of all newly elected MLAs in the Assembly Elections, 23 of 67 party MLAs have declared criminal cases against themselves. On the other hand, one out of the three BJP MLAs elected to the assembly have declared criminal cases. MLAs with Criminal Cases: Out of the 70 MLAs, 24 (34%) have declared criminal cases against themselves. 23 (34%) AAP MLAs out of 67 MLAs have declared criminal cases while 1 (33%) out of 3 BJP MLAs has declared criminal cases. Out of 70 MLAs in the Delhi Assembly elections in 2013, 25 (36%) MLAs had declared criminal cases against themselves and in the 29 (43%) out of 68 MLAs analysed had declared criminal cases.
- Kiran Bedi, who was Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) chief ministerial candidate, has complained to the Election Commission alleging that issuing of ‘fatwas’ impact voting and they should look into it.
- Former Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar paraded 130 MLAs before President Pranab Mukherjee to underline his claim to form government in the state. Nitish refused to blame the governor for delaying an invite to him to form government and allowing chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi to indulge in horse trading, he said he could not wait and see Bihar suffer. “Why is this delay? We nursed Bihar for more than eight years and ensured good governance and rule of law. How can we allow BJP to get all wrong things done through Manjhi and heap the blame on me for that? I have the record of statements made by BJP leaders against me for the wrongs committed by the Manjhi government.
- AAP’s stupendous victory in the Delhi assembly polls, the party’s founder-member Shanti Bhushan attacked Arvind Kejriwal yet again, accusing him of accepting “tainted” money and giving tickets to candidates who were prepared to buy votes. He also alleged that the AAP chief had “abandoned” all principles of inner party democracy and asked the party to “apply course correction” and come back to the path of clean politics.
- National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation (NMDFC) increases of authorised Share Capital from 1500 crore to 3000 crore has been approved by Union Government. Prime Minister Narendra Modi made this decision in a Union Cabinet meeting. Beside this the Cabinet has also gave approval to revise the shareholding pattern to 73:26:1 from 65:26:9 among the Centre, individuals/institutions and States/Union Territories.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will soon have a temple dedicated to him. The temple in Modi’s home state of Gujarat is ready and will be thrown open to public by their supporters. It is situated in Kotharia village near Rajkot, has a bust of Modi and has been constructed using donations by his supporters. According to those associated with the temple’s construction it took those two years to complete it. Modi is revered in Kotharia and several nearby villages where people call him a reincarnation of god. Ramesh Undhad, who donated funds for temple building, said it took nearly four years to get the Prime Minister’s idol made. This idol cost us Rs. 1.65 lakh and artists from Odisha and they created this idol, which looks exactly like Modi.
- Reliance Communications Limited tied up with Facebook to offer free internet access to people in India, this was done under Facebook project Internet.org. In the first phase this service will be available in seven circles of RCOM which includes Mumbai, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Chennai and Kerala. In second phase this service will be launched in pan India which is scheduled by May 2015. Under this initiative users will be provided access to popular websites with zero data charge of internet access across both 2g and 3g networks.
- Director General Health Services Dr Jagdish Prasad, representatives of leading government hospitals such as Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, Safdarjung, AIIMS, and from Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and National Center for Disease Control (NCDC) were present in the meeting for H1N1 influenza being reported from different states was reviewed by the Health Ministry that was chaired by Health and Family Welfare Secretary B.P. Sharma. the total number of H1N1 cases is 5,157 and number of deaths is 407. Largely the cases are from Delhi, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Telangana whereas largely the deaths due to H1N1 are in Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Telangana. The current trends of morbidity and mortality, the diagnostic and test algorithms being followed, availability of diagnostic kits and drugs, and other preventive measures were discussed. Guidelines are being drafted for vaccination of healthcare workers and these will be shared with the states for dissemination to all health institutions.
- 216 people have lost their lives to swine flu across the country in the first ten days of February as the death toll due to the contagious disease mounted to 407 this year, mostly in states like Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- BCCI President-in-exile N Srinivasan led India Cements’ board approved transfer of IPL team CSK to a wholly-owned subsidiary Chennai Super Kings Cricket Ltd. Srinivasan, who has been barred by the Supreme Court from contesting any polls of the board till he gave up ownership of the IPL team, did not specify who would be at the helm of Chennai Super Kings Cricket Ltd and details of its main functionaries.
- At IBPS Preparation,We provide pathway for any candidate who wishes to shine in the recruitment process of IBPS.
- Exams2017.11.02Government Exams – The Critical One
- Announcements2017.09.06Recruitment Application for IBPS Clerk VII is out for Vacancies of 2018-19
- Announcements2017.08.30What to Expect for IBPS PO Prelims Exam 2017 (Important Topics)
- General Awareness2017.08.22Most Asked Questions about the President of India