Daily Current Affairs – 29th October 2014
- Today’s International Internet Day was observed globally to mark the anniversary of the first usage of the Internet to send a message electronically in 1969. It has been celebrated to commemorate a momentous day in the history of telecommunications and technology since 2005.
- Today’s Republic day in Turkey. It has been celebrated since 1923.
- An Antares rocket explodes during the launch of the unmanned Cygnus CRS-3 spacecraft to the International Space Station.
Antares is known during early development as Taurus II. It is an expendable launch system developed by Orbital Sciences Corporation which can able to launch payloads heavier than 5,000 kg (11,000 lb) into low-Earth orbit, It was designed to launch the Cygnus spacecraft to the International Space Station as part of NASA’s COTS and CRS programs.
Cygnus CRS Orb-3 also known as Orbital Sciences CRS Flight 3 or Orbital 3 (Orb-3), was an attempted flight of Cygnus, an automated cargo spacecraft developed by United States-based company Orbital Sciences, on 28th October 2014. This flight, which would have been its fourth to the International Space Station and the fifth of an Antares launch vehicle, resulted in the Antares rocket exploding seconds after liftoff.
- Government to launch Kisan Vikas Patra along with some new saving instrument program for the girl Child as well as Physically Challenged Person as stated by senior finance Ministry.
- Union Government sacked the heads of six Public Sector Unit (PSU) banks as Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, United Bank and Vijaya Bank after submission of a report by a high-level committee in this issue that stated about irregularities being found in the selection process of the Chairman and Managing Directors (CMDs) of these banks.
- Centre placed a list of names of 627 Indian account holders in HSBC bank, Geneva in black money case before the Supreme Court which asked SIT to go through the list and take appropriate action in accordance with law. A bench headed by Chief Justice HL Dattu did not open the sealed envelope containing the names placed by the Centre and said that it would be opened only by chairman and the vice-chairman of the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT).
- Devendra Fadnavis, 44 years old will be the new Chief Minister of Maharashtra and will take oath on 31 October 2014. He was elected as the leader of the Maharashtra Legislature Party.
- World’s first solar aircraft to be run from Ahmadabad to Varanasi. It has led psychiatrist and aeronaut Bertrand Piccard. Piccard has teamed up with MIT graduate Andre Borschberg to build and operate the green airplane, an 11-year-old, $150 million project financed by a number of private companies including Omega, Schindler and ABB. This aircraft, with a wingspan of 72 m, which makes it wider than a Boeing 747 to create surface area for solar cells, weighs as much as a car upto 2,300 kg, with a maximum cruising altitude of 27,000 feet at a speed of 140 km per hour. The plane can carry just one pilot.
- India got 114th rank in World Economic Forum’s 2014 gender gap index that was released on 27 October 2014.
- The war crimes court found Motiur Rahman Nizami, head of the Jamaat-e-Islami party, guilty of mass murder, rape and looting during Bangladesh’s war of independence against Pakistan in 1971. Finally a special Bangladeshi court handed the death sentence to the leader of the country’s largest Islamist party for war crimes, in a long-awaited verdict that triggers fears of fresh violence.
- US Court issued Summons against Amitabh Bachchan, Bollywood Actress. Summons issued in an alleged human rights violation case filed by a Sikh rights group.
- A. Surya Prakash was appointed as the new Chairman of the Prasar Bharti Board on 28 October 2014. Duration of his position is 3 years. He was recommended by 3 committees. Those committees were Information and Broadcasting, Chairman of Press council of India and secretary and Vice President of India.
- Jawhar Sircar, Prasar Bharati CEO was elected Vice-President (VP) of Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) in Macau. He was elected unopposed.
- Shailendra Bhandari, Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of ING Vysya Bank resigned from his post after taking charge of the Bangalore-based private lender.
- Harvard Business Review (HBR), in the issue of November 2014, named CEO of Amazon Jeff Bezos as best-performing CEO in the world after compiled its list of top CEOs by comparing shareholder returns for S&P Global 1200 companies from each executive’s first day in office until 30 April 2014.
- Sir Schindler Nicholas Winton, at the age of 105 years was awarded the Order of the White Lion of Czech Republic by the President Milos Zeman at Prague Castle, Czech Republic for saving 669 children from Nazis. The Order of the White Lion is the highest civilian honour of the Czech Republic.
- At IBPS Preparation,We provide pathway for any candidate who wishes to shine in the recruitment process of IBPS.
- Uncategorized2018.03.05Equip Yourself with Niche Skills – Take a Giant Leap for your Career
- English2018.03.05How to Prepare for English Section of SSC CGL and IBPS PO Simultaneously?
- Announcements2018.02.06Top Universities for Finance Aspirants
- Announcements2018.02.06Popular Universities offering Banking Courses