Daily Current Affairs – 15th November 2014
- Today’s Shichi-Go-San festival started in Japan. Its significance is traditional rite of passage and festival day in Japan for three and seven year old girls and three and five year old boys. It held annually on November 15 to celebrate the growth and well-being of young children. It is not a national holiday, it is generally observed on the nearest weekend.
- Today’s observed as Republic day in Brazil. It is the world’s fifth largest country, both by geographical area and by population and the largest Portuguese-speaking country in the world, and the only one in the Americas. It is the largest country in both South America and the Latin American region.
- Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari decided and issued the notification to this effect and it has been communicated to all Ministries to shift question hour in Rajya Sabha from 11 A.M. to 12 noon from the upcoming Winter Session. Now it will be between 12 PM and 1 PM instead of 11 AM and 12. Accordingly, the Zero Hour will be between 11 AM and 12 PM, marking the start of a day’s proceedings. The Zero Hour is a period during which Member of Parliament (MPs) get chance to raise matters of public importance that need immediate attention of the government.
- Union Finance Ministry announced that Goa and Kerala became the first states in the country to achieve 100 percent Financial Inclusion under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) and three Union Territories (UTs) namely Chandigarh, Puducherry and Lakshadweep achieved 100 percent financial inclusion.
- Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) decided to use Sanskrit as a third language in schools of Kendriya Vidyalaya (KVs) in place of German language. It was decided in the meeting of Board of Governors of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) on 27 October 2014. The meeting was headed by Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani.
- Bollywood Actor Farhan Akhtar appointed as UN Women Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia He is the first male as a Goodwill Ambassador in the organization’s history.
- Prasar Bharti announced to re-launch Doordarshan National with new tagline Doordarshan National – Desh Ka Apna Channel with new colours of purple and pink are added with a fresh palette of programming. It will provide wholesome entertainment to the viewers from 17 November 2014. Its aimed at attracting more viewers. It will will continue to focus on traditional family values – Rishtey, Nation before Self, Rashtra Gaurav and Trustworthiness – Dilon Mein Vishwas.
- The Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) approved the HDFC Bank proposal to raise foreign investment ceiling of the bank to 74 percent. Previously foreign investment up to 49 percent in banks is permitted under the automatic route and beyond 49 percent FIPB clearance is required.
- AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal addressing a gathering of around 5,000 people at Jantar Mantar, delhi launched the party’s Delhi Dialogue campaign and wooed the national capital’s youth by promising 800,000 jobs, vocational training, stadia, new colleges and Wi-Fi across the city.
- Ratan Tata, Chairman of Tata Sons was inducted on the board of INTERPOL Foundation to contribute to two new global initiatives aimed at combating organised crime and terrorist activities by the foundation. The other board members include HSBC CEO Stuart Gulliver, Credit Agricole Chairman Jean-Marie Sander, Abraaj Capital Chairman and CEO Arif Naqvi and Renault-Nissan Alliance Chairman and CEO Carlos Ghosn and board is headed by Prince Albert II of Monaco and former Lebanese Deputy Prime Minister Elias Murr. The other initiatives of the Foundation include I-Checkit, which protects airlines, hotels, banks from threats of identity frauds.
- An international team of scientists claimed to have set the world record for creating coldest cubic meter in the Universe. They are working on the cryostat that’s part of the Cryogenic Underground Observatory for Rare Events experiment (CUORE) cooled an 880-pound block of copper to a temperature of six milliKelvins.
- Russian state-controlled TV has broadcast what it called “sensational” photographs, which it said supported Moscow’s theory that Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was shot down by a Ukrainian fighter jet. It was taken by a western satellite, appear to show a fighter jet firing a missile at a passenger plane over eastern Ukraine where the Malaysian airliner was shot down on July 17, killing all 298 people on board. These photographs were aired on a Friday evening news show “Odnako”
- After 50-minute meeting between the British prime minister and the Russian president has made Vladimir Putin decide to leave the ongoing G20 summit early. Cameron was forthright and wanted Putin to end his support for Russian separatists and also believed to have warned Putin about being in “crossroads” and that could see the west impose “further sanctions on Russia”.
- China launched remote sensing satellite Yaogan-23 from Taiyuan Satellite Launch Centre. The satellite was carried by a Long March-2c rocket, which marks the 198th mission for Long March rocket family.
- Iraqi Government forces have recaptured the strategic northern town of Baiji (located 130 miles north of Baghdad) from Islamic State for Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants. The force has also lifted siege of the oil refinery. It is the largest town to be recaptured by government forces since IS-led militants overran much of the country’s Sunni Arab heartland in June 2014, and the victory is one of the most significant in the conflict so far.
- European Space Agency’s (ESA) Rosetta mission landed its Philae probe on the surface of Comet 67P/ Churyumov–Gerasimenko. The landing site has been named as Agilkia and is located on the head of the bizarre double-lobed object. This is the first time in the space history that a probe landed on a comet.
- China and the US President Barack Obama agreed to cut greenhouse gas emissions. Both the countries have unveiled new pledges on greenhouse gas emissions with a new goal of reducing US levels between 26%-28% by 2025, compared with 2005 levels. This is held on a state visit by Obama to Beijing on the sidelines of APEC summit.
- At IBPS Preparation,We provide pathway for any candidate who wishes to shine in the recruitment process of IBPS.
- Announcements2017.05.26Banking Exams: Tentative Dates, Eligibility Criteria and Salary
- Announcements2017.05.24How to prepare for IBPS Bank exam? Easy Shortcuts, Tips & Tricks
- General Computer Knowledge2017.05.22Computer Aptitude Practice Set – 2017
- Announcements2017.05.18SBI PO Main Exam Preparation Strategy & Exam Pattern Expected