Daily Current Affairs – 12th November 2014
- Today’s observed as Birth of Baha u llah, a holy day in the Bahá’í Faith. The Birth of Baha u llah is one of nine holy days in the Bahá’í calendar that is celebrated by Bahá’ís and during which work is suspended. The holy day celebrates the birth of Bahá’u’lláh, the founder of the Bahá’í Faith. Bahá’u’lláh was born on 12 November 1817 in Tehran, Iran and this holy day was instituted in the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, his book of laws, where Bahá’u’lláh first refers to four great festivals: the Festival of Ridván, the Declaration of the Báb, the birth of the Báb—who is considered to be a Manifestation of God, and who foretold the coming of Bahá’u’lláh—and the birth of Bahá’u’lláh. In questions submitted to Bahá’u’lláh after writing the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, Bahá’u’lláh states that the two days commemorating the births of the Báb and Bahá’u’lláh are seen to be one in the “sight of God” and are referred to as the “Twin Birthdays”.
- Senior BJP legislator Haribhau Bagde was elected as new Speaker of the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly announced by Protem Speaker Jiva Pandu Gavit in the newly-constituted Maharashtra Legislative Assembly. Devendra Fadnavis government today won the trust motion in the Maharashtra assembly through a voice vote, drawing angry reactions from Shiv Sena and Congress which accused the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party of failing to prove its majority and ‘strangulating democracy’.
- ASEAN Summit begins in Myanmar capital, Nay Pyi Taw today. It will held on 12–13 November 2014. 10 members states are Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam with 1 Observer — Papua New Guinea.
- The International Finance Corp (IFC) arm of World Bank issued 10 billion rupee Masala bond to fund infrastructure development. Masala bonds mark the first rupee bonds listed on the London Stock Exchange. The name masala bond is the Indian counterpart of the Dim Sum bond applied to Chinese offshore issues of IFC. Bonds issued inside India by IFC are known as Maharaja Bonds.
- Public Sector Banks Employee went on a nationwide strike to press for wage revision. The strike affected banking services like cheque clearance and withdrawal from branches across India. United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU), umbrella organisation of nine bank employees and officer unions called for national wide strike where All-India State Bank Officers’ Federation and All-India State Bank of India Staff Federation participated in the strike.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a brief interaction tonight with Barack Obama during which the US President called him a “man of action”. They will meet second time in six weeks at a Gala Dinner in Myanmar capital after the President played host to the Prime Minister at the White house in Washington in the last week of September.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has joined the popular picture sharing social network Instagram. He posted his first Instagram photo from Myanmar, where he is attending the ASEAN Summit. The picture featured a banner placed at the venue where the Summit is taking place. The picture got more than 2,400 likes and 384 comments. He said, “Hello World! Great being on Instagram. My first photo…this one from the ASEAN Summit.”
- The largest wind turbine manufacturer Suzlon Energy installed the world’s tallest hybrid wind generator turbine in Kutch, Gujarat. The turbine will generate 12-15 percent more energy. It is 120-metre hybrid turbine is taller than conventional wind turbine towers by 40 metres.
- Salgaocar FC won Durand Cup on 8 November 2014 and emerged as Durand Cup champion for the third time. It defeated Pune FC by 1-0. It is 127th Durand Cup played at the Raia Sports Complex, Goa. The winner got 25 lakh rupees while Pune FC got 15 lakh rupees.
- Sixth World Ayurveda Congress (WAC) was held in New Delhi from 6 to 9 November 2014. Theme of the sixth WAC was Health Challenges and Ayurveda.
- Pizza Hut announced to change their brand and unveil a new logo. Whereas new logo was inspired by a swirl of tomato sauce on stretched pizza dough which portrays a pizza-like circle with a more muted red and still kept the iconic hut illustration. Pizza Hut is launching its biggest ever advertising campaign entitled The Flavor of Now to celebrate the change of logo and also changing its pizza options to include such exotic ingredients as sliced banana peppers, sriracha, and curry.
- Assam state zoo in Guwahati is all set to become the only zoo of the world to have endangered pigmy hogs by end of this week.
- Toyota Motor Corporation announced to recall around 361800 vehicles world-wide. These include Hiace vans from Japan, Camry sedan from Japan and Europe and Crown Majesta from Japan.
- Badminton World Federation (BWF) provisionally suspended Malaysian badminton player and World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei due to an apparent anti-doping regulation violation.
- Indian Railways allows 100% FDI on cleaning up trains and installation of bio-toilets in passenger coaches and setting up of mechanised laundry facilities.
- Flipkart, largest online retailer of India appointed two new members Rishi Vasudev and P Balakrishnan as Vice President. Rishi Vasudev joined as the new Vice President Fashion (Retail), while Parameswaran Balakrishnan will head the organisation as Vice President HR for supply chain.
- The ALMA radio telescope array shows a protoplanetary disk around the star HL Tauri.
- China’s online retail giant, Alibaba made the record of earning 9.3 billion US dollars in sales on a single day. Alibaba achieved the staggering figure on Singles Day shopping event which celebrates the bachelorhood of Young single Chinese.
- The 21st Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation (APEC) Summit was concluded on 11 November 2014. The summit was held at Yanqi Lake in Beijing, China. It was concluded with issuing of the 22nd APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting Declaration – Beijing Agenda for an Integrated, Innovative and Interconnected Asia-Pacific.
- European Space Agency successfully making the first man-made object land on a comet, to trace the origins of life on Earth. The Rosetta spacecraft’s Philae lander touched down successfully on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko at around 9.30 pm India time.
- Government has named actor Rajinikanth as winner of the Centenary Award for Indian Film Personality of the Year. He will honor in 45th International Film Festival of India, IFFI to be held in Goa from November 20 to 30.
- The Philae lander, launched from the European Space Agency’s Rosetta probe, reaches the surface of Comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko.
- In Mexico City, thousands protest the disappearance of 43 students and subsequent discovery of mass graves.
- Dubai becomes 1st city in GCC countries to launch tram service. It will cover a distance of 10.6-kilometres and expected to ferry 27,000 people every day. It can can accommodate 405 passengers.
- Yahoo buys video ad service BrightRoll for $640 million.
- A second case of self-immolation took place in Japan challenging Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s efforts to militarize the country, which had been wedded to a pacifist constitution since World War II. The incident comes two days after Abe shook hands with Chinese President Xi Jinping, who has been the most strident critic of Japan’s militarization.
- At IBPS Preparation,We provide pathway for any candidate who wishes to shine in the recruitment process of IBPS.
- Announcements2018.06.06IBPS CRP RRBs VII Notification has been Released
- Announcements2018.03.05Equip Yourself with Niche Skills – Take a Giant Leap for your Career
- English2018.03.05How to Prepare for English Section of SSC CGL and IBPS PO Simultaneously?
- Announcements2018.02.06Top Universities for Finance Aspirants