Daily Current Affairs – 31st December 2014
- President President Pranab Mukherjee gave his assent to the setting up of the National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC), which gives the executive an equal role in the appointment of judges to the highest judiciary, as a constitutional body.
- Saiyid Hamid, Tallest Figure in Muslim Academia, died. He is also an author, reformist and educationist. He was the last surviving ICS officer in India and recently conferred Sir Ross Masood Lifetime Achievement Award 2014 for Excellence in Leadership, Education, Community and Public Service.
- NPCIL (Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd) approved for permission of commercial power generation as first 1,000 MW unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project.
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended a base price of Rs 2,720 crore per Mhz for pan India 3G spectrum.
- Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan today took on outfits demanding construction of a temple dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi’s assassin Nathuram Godse.
- Keshari Nath Tripathi appointed as Governor of West Bengal and he will take additional charge as the Governor of Meghalaya.
- Govt signed loan agreement of 60 million dollar with Asian Development Bank (ADB) for a J&K Urban Sector Development Investment Program (JKURSDIP).
- Microsoft Corporation launched new browser Spartan with Windows 10. It will be unveiled on 21st January 2015, in the company’s hometown of Redmond, Washington.
- Late Harappan Period House discovered by Archaeological Survey of India at the Chandyan Village in Baghpat Uttar Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh government declares the film PK of actor Aamir khan as Tax Free.
- Appointment of MD and CEO’s of four Nationalised Banks was announced by Department of Financial Services which is under Union Ministry of Finance. Following are the details :
R Koteeswaran as MD and CEO of Indian Overseas Bank (IOB).
Animesh Chauhan as MD and CEO of Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC).
Kishore Kumar Sansi as MD and CEO of Vijaya Bank.
P. Srinivas as the MD and CEO of United Bank of India.
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA) was renamed to Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India.
- Cristiano Ronaldo was voted by European sports reporters Europe’s best football player of the year 2014.