Daily Current Affairs – 09th February 2015
- Today’s observed as death anniversary of Murlidhar Devidas Amte also known as Baba Amte, an He is an Indian social worker and social activist who known for his work for helping by rehabilitation and empowerment of poor people suffering from leprosy.
- Vinod Mehta Journalist obliged with Uttar Pradesh’s highest civilian award Yash Bharti by the State government.
- Damyant Singh appointed as Brand Director of German sportswear major Adidas Group in India by succeeds Tushar Goculdas.
- Union Government decided to infuse 6990 crore rupees in nine Public Sector Banks to enhance their capital and meet global risk norms. It was decided on the basis of performance of each bank.
S. No. Name of the Bank Amount (Rupees in crore)
1 State Bank of India (SBI) 2970
2 Bank of Baroda (BoB) 1260
3 Punjab National Bank (PNB) 870
4 Canara Bank 570
5 Syndicate Bank 460
6 Allahabad Bank 320
7 Indian Bank 280
8 Dena Bank 140
9 Andhra Bank 120
- Himalaya Darshan Programme launched by Uttarakhand Government to boost tourism in Uttarakhand. A group of students carried by a chopper was flagged off by Civil Aviation Secretary Akshat Gupta for a sortie around the mountains from the Sahastradhara Helidrome of Dehradun. The programme was launched as part of ongoing efforts to boost tourism by the State Government. It was flagged off by Civil Aviation Secretary Akshat Gupta to mark the launch of the programme. As part of the celebrations, a chopper carrying a group of students was flagged off from the Sahastradhara Helidrome of Dehradun for a sortie around the mountains.
- First world ocean science congress started in 2015. It was held in Kochi, Kerala from 5 February 2015 to 8 February 2015 and organised jointly by the Swadeshi Science Movement, Vijnana Bharati, Kerala chapter and the Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies (KUFOS), Kochi. The themes of the WOSC 2015 were Protect Oceans for Posterity and Blue Economy.
- Singapore President Tony Tan Keng Yam is on four-day state visit to India to mark 50 years of the establishment of diplomatic relations. He will inaugurate the opening of the Peranakan Exhibition themed “The Peranakan World: Cross-Cultural Art from Singapore and the Malacca Straits” at the National Museum in New Delhi.
- Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott survived a vote of confidence motion on spilling the top leadership of Liberal Party. Tony Abbott was elected as the Prime Minister of Australia in September 2013. The ruling Liberal Party voted to defeat the leadership spill motion by 61 to39 votes.
- Ricky Kej’s album ‘Winds of Samsara’ wins the best new age album award at the 57th Grammy Awards. He is Bengaluru based musician. It was held on 8 February 2015 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. In all, 83 Grammy Awards were presented at the function.
- Telecom operator Reliance Jio Infocomm President Sumit Dutta Chowdhury on 7 February 2015 resigned to start his own venture.
- Boyhood honored with the Best Film Award at 68th British Academy Film Awards 2015. It takes 12 years to make. It was announced on 8 February 2015. The Theory of Everything was named the Best British Film while The Lego Movie won the Best Animated Film and Citizenfour won the award in Best Documentary category. The BAFTA Awards were handed out at the Royal Opera House in London.
- Neela Vaswani won award in Children’s Album category for her album I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up For Education and Changed the World (Malala Yousafzai).
- China launched its first cruise liner to sail via its ambitious transcontinental initiative Maritime Silk Road (MSR) on its maiden voyage.
- The Nagasaki-based Henn-na (meaning Strange Hotel) of Japan announced to open the first Robot-staffed Hotel of the World. The hotel will be opened on 17 July 2015 and it will significantly reduce the operating costs. In first-phase will be two-storied hotel with 72 rooms. In the second-phase, which will be completed in 2016, 72 additional rooms will be added to it.