Daily Current Affairs – 17th January 2015
- President Pranab Mukherjee launched a pulse polio immunization programme by administering polio drops to children at Rashtrapati Bhavan today and gives the message to all over the country as children of less than five years age will be given polio drops as part of the Government of India’s drive to sustain polio eradication from the region.
- Twenty four children (8 girls and 16 boys) have been selected for the National Bravery Awards for the year 2014.
- 16 year old Km Resham Fatma of Uttar Pradesh conferred with Bharat Award for showing exceptionally gallant deed. He is a victim of Acid attack, for putting on a brave face while fighting off her tormentor.
- 16 year old Master Devesh Kumar of Uttar Pradesh conferred with Sanjay Chopra Award who displayed outstanding courage while confronting two chain-snatchers.
- 13 year old Km. Gunjan Sharma of Assam conferred with Geeta Chopra Award who displayed exemplary valour in saving her friends from the clutches of the abductor.
- Master RumohMeto (13 years) of Arunachal Pradesh, Late Km. Riya Chaudhary (15 years) of Uttar Pradesh and Late Km. Monika (16 years) of Uttarakhand conferred with Bapu Gaidhani Awards.
- Other recipients are
From Gujrat : Km. Zeal JitendraMarathe, Master Hiral Jitubhai Halpati and Late Master Gaurav Kumar Bharti.
From Maharashtra: Master Sahanesh R (Karnataka), Km. AshwiniBanduUghade,
From Manipur: Master L. Brainson Singh and Master G. Tooldev Sharma,
From Tripura: Km. Ripa Das, From Chattisgarh : Master BalramDansena,
From Jharkhand: Master Rajdeep Das,
From Kerala: Master Anjith.P, Master Aqil Mohammad NK and Master Midhun PP,
From Meghalaya: Master Stevenson Lawriniang,
From Mizoram: Late Master MesakK.Remnalalnghaka,
From Nagaland: Ms. MhonbeniEqung,
From Uttarakhand: Master Labhanshu
From Uttar Pradesh: Late Master Gaurav Kumar Bharti.
- 3 Day Tribal Food Festival-2015 inaugurated by Union Tribal Affairs Minister, Jual Oram and begun in New Delhi. It is organized by Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) on behalf of the Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) was today handed over by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to the Indian Air Force.
- Roli Books released an unauthorized biography of Congress Party President Sonia Gandhi titled “The Red Sari” written by Spanish author Javier Moro.
- CBI today arrested Shib Narayan Das, director of Kolkata-based firm Saradha Realty, in connection with the multi-crore rupee chit fund scam.
- Punjab Government today decided to stop screening and releasing of the controversial movie ‘Messenger of God (MSG)’, featuring Dera Sacha Sauda Chief Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh after in view of reports of tensions surrounding its release in some other parts of the country.
- Giorgio Napolitano is the longest-serving President of Italy, resigns due to age.
- Patras carnival started in Greece. It is the largest event of its kind in Greece and one of the biggest in Europe. It has more than 160 years of history. The events begin on 17 January and last up to Clean Monday. The carnival of Patras is not a single event but a variety of events that includes balls, parades, hidden treasure hunt and the children’s carnival amongst others. It climaxes in the last weekend of Carnival with the Saturday evening parade of carnival groups, the extravagant Sunday parade of floats and groups, and finally the ritual burning of the carnival king at the St. Nikolaos Street pier in the harbour of Patras. Its characteristics are spontaneity, improvisation, inspiration and volunteerism.
- Seventy-two people die after drinking contaminated beer at a funeral in Mozambique.
- Stephen Constantine from England was appointed as the head coach of Indian men’s football team. He served as Indian team coach from 2002 to 2005 and now both the senior and under-23 football teams will be supervised by him. He succeeded Wim Koevermans of Netherlands who resigned in October 2014.
- Sania Mirza and Bethanie Mattek-Sands of US lifted the women’s doubles title of the Sydney International Tennis Tournament after defeated Americans Abigail Spears and Raquel Kops-Jones by 6-3, 6-3 in the final clash played in Sydney.
- Gonzalo Peillat of Argentina was named as rising star of the year in Men category and Florencia Habif of Argentina was named as rising star of the year in Women category.
- Australian captain Mark Knowles was named as the International Hockey Federation (FIH) Player of the Year 2014 in men category.
- Midfielder of the Netherland Ellen Hoog was named as the International Hockey Federation (FIH) Player of the Year 2014 in women category.
- Jaap Stockmann of the Netherlands was named as Goalkeeper of the year in Men category and Joyce Sombroek of the Netherlands was named as Goalkeeper of the year in Women category.
- Argentine Max Caldas, Coach of the Netherlands team was named as Coach of the year in Women category and Australian Ric Charlesworth, Coach of Australia team was named as Coach of the year in Men category.
- Ukrainian Grandmaster Andrey Baryshpolets lifted the title of 13th Parsvanth International Grandmasters Chess Tournament in Delhi after defeating Deepan Chakravarthy of India in the 10th round of tournament.
- Petra Kvitova of Czech Republic won the women’s single title of Sydney International Tennis tournament after defeating Karolina Pliskova of Czech Republic by 7-6, 7-6 in the final.
- After the Swiss National Bank ends its cap on the exchange rate to the euro, the franc increases in value significantly.
- Nepali Congress leader Deep Kumar Upadhyay was appointed as Nepal’s ambassador to India as this post was vacant since 2011. In the cabinet meeting headed by Nepal’s Prime Minister Sushil Kumar Koirala decision was taken on his appointment.
- Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson become the first people to successfully free climb the 3,000-foot (910 m) Dawn Wall of El Capitan in Yosemite National Park, California.
- At IBPS Preparation,We provide pathway for any candidate who wishes to shine in the recruitment process of IBPS.