1. Nepal appointed Deep Kumar Upadhyay as its ambassador to India.
2. National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and US-India Aviation Cooperation Programme (ACP) have entered into a cooperation agreement for skill development in India’s aviation sector. Under this both the organizations will set up a Centre of Excellence focused on skill development programmes in aviation.
3. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched an insurance scheme for passengers travelling on e- ticket. The insurance cover will be up to 10 lakh rupees.
4. Veteran French photographer Marc Riboud died. He was 93.
5. Cardiologist K K Aggarwal has been unanimously elected as the National President of the Indian Medical Association for the year 2016-17.
6. On the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee celebration LIC of India declared a special Diamond Jubilee bonus on all eligible life insurance policies. It also launched the new LIC Diamond Bima policy on the occasion.
7. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that the Martial arts expert and actor Jackie Chan will be awarded with a lifetime achievement Oscar.
8. Union Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (independent charge) Rajiv Pratap Rudy inaugurated Telangana Jagruthi Skill Development programme in Hyderabad.
9. Australia’s oldest former Test cricketer, Len Maddocks died. He was 90.
10. BRICS group Film Festival of five countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) started at the Siri Fort Auditorium in Delhi. This five-day-long film festival was inaugurated by Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore and Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting VK Singh alongwith well-known Bollywood actor Rishi Kapoor.
11. India and Vietnam signed 12 agreements in a wide range of areas covering defence, IT, space, double taxation and sharing white shipping information, signalling a strong upward push in their strategic ties.
12. The Department of Posts will release a commemorative stamp in the city to mark Mother Teresa’s canonisation in the Vatican on September 4.
13. Rajasthan became the fourth state to provide ‘E-stamp Facility’. Till now Delhi, Chhattisgarh and Himachal Pradesh have provided this service.
14. Uzbekistan’s President Islam Karimov died. He was 78.
15. Noted Assamese poet, literary critic and author and winner of the Sahitya Akademi award Nalini dhar Bhattacharyya passed away. He was 95.
16. India and Egypt signed an agreement on Maritime Transport. The agreement would help the two nations to step-up co-operation on the seas not only in terms of maritime commerce but also in transit of naval vessels.
17. Infosys has entered into a joint venture agreement with Saudi Prerogative Company (SPC) for IT services in Saudi Arabia.
18. The Guinness World Records declared Assam’s Majuli as the largest river island in the world. The island is located in the Brahmaputra River.
19. Two-day G-20 Summit of the world’s major economies will start in Chinese city of Hangzhou on 4th September. The theme of this summit is towards an Innovative, Invigorated, Interconnected and Inclusive World Economy.
20. Chhattisgarh will be awarded with the highest national award in the field of literacy.
21. The Coal India Limited (CIL) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) for effectively monitoring of environment related issues in the coal mining projects.
22. The Election Commission of India (ECI) has granted national party status to All India Trinamool Congress (TMC) Party led by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
23. The Union Government has announced a special package of 200 crore rupees for Jammu and Kashmir to engage youth of the state in constructive sporting activities.
24. A two-day world coin and currency exhibition-cum-auction is being held in West Bengal’s Siliguri district. Organised by the Numismatic Society of Calcutta, the event features a vast collection of coins, medals, stamps, and currency notes from across the world.
25. The DCB Bank, a new-generation private sector bank, has launched a card-less mobile-based payment solution ‘mVisa’, to make payments at retail outlets easier. It will allow customers to pay through their smartphones by scanning the unique Quick Response (QR) code.
26. LG has built the world’s largest OLED tunnel at an industry meet in Berlin to mark the 50th anniversary of the first TV it produced. The record-breaking structure, which is 5m tall, 7.4m wide and 15m long, is made up of 216 separate 55-inch curved OLED displays.
27. Airline company ‘Jet Airways’ has launched an in-flight entertainment service named ‘JetScreen’, which will reportedly allow passengers to stream 220 hours of digital content on smartphones, tablets or laptops for free.
28. Himanshu Gupta from Bengaluru has been named as the official Guinness record holder for the ‘Longest time spinning a Guinness World Record book on the finger’. He achieved the feat by rotating the book on his index finger for a record time of 44 minutes and 20 seconds, breaking the previous record of 40 minutes and 8 seconds.