1. China began operating the world’s largest radio telescope, the FAST (Five-hundred-metre Aperture Spherical Telescope).
Measuring 500 metres across, the telescope took five years and $180 million to complete, and will be used to search for gravitational waves and signs of extra-terrestrial life
2. SpiceJet Chairman and Managing Director Ajay Singh was elected as the President of the Boxing Federation of India.
3. Rohit Sharma completed his career’s 1,000 Test runs during the first Test against New Zealand, becoming the fourth Indian to score 1,000-plus runs in all formats.
4. Ravichandran Ashwin became the fastest Indian and second fastest overall to register 200 Test wickets, after reaching the landmark in his 37th Test against New Zealand.
5. Indian table tennis player Sathiyan Gnanasekaran won India’s first international men’s singles table tennis title in half a decade, after securing the Belgian Open.
6. India and Afghanistan have reached an agreement to establish an air corridor to facilitate trade between the two nations through air.
7.Two Indian-American scientists Dr Subhash Kot and Dr Manu Prakash, who studied at the Indian Institute of Technology, have received the MacArthur grant 2016 for ‘exceptional creativity’ in their fields of interest. They will be awarded a grant of $625,000 (approximately ₹4 crore) each over a period of five years.
8. A new species of pikas,which is also Identified as ‘Ochotona sikimaria’, a small mammal in the rabbit family, has been discovered in the Himalayas of Sikkim.
9. Amid attempts to boost rural economy by using bio-resources, a ‘National Mission on Bioeconomy’ was launched by the Institute of Bio-resources and Sustainable Development under the Science and Technology Ministry.
10. India will ratify the Paris Agreement on climate change+ on October 2 – the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
11. Indian Space Research Organisation launched its satellite SCATSAT-1 for ocean and weather related studies from Sriharikota. Carrying the 377 kg SCATSAT-1 and seven other satellites, India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, PSLV-C35, lifted off from ISRO’s first launch pad at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre.
12. Iran’s Defence Ministry launched the home-grown ballistic missile ‘Zolfaqar’. The tactical missile will come into service by March 2017.
13. Olympian Sajan Prakash set a national record in men’s 200m butterfly event by winning the gold at the 70th Senior National Aquatic Championships.
14. Kenenisa Bekele of Ethiopia defeated Wilson Kipsang of Kenya to win Berlin Marathon title.
15. Indian Olympic Association President N Ramachandran was conferred with the prestigious OCA Award of Merit by the Olympic Council of Asia for his outstanding contributions to sports in Asia.
16. Legendary American golfer Arnold Palmer died. He was 87.
17. Japan will host the Asian Games for the third time in the year 2026.
18. China and Cuba signed around 30 agreements on economic cooperation in various sectors. The agreements were signed in the presence of Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang and the Cuban President Raul Castro in Cuba. Keqiang is the first Chinese PM to visit Cuba since the countries established diplomatic ties 56 years ago.
19. India defeated New Zealand by 197 runs to win its historic 500th test match.
20. Leh’s Hall of Fame museum has been featured in the ’25 best museums of Asia’ in a TripAdvisor survey. This museum has topped the list of five Indian museums featured in the list.
- At IBPS Preparation,We provide pathway for any candidate who wishes to shine in the recruitment process of IBPS.
- Announcements2017.05.24How to prepare for IBPS Bank exam? Easy Shortcuts, Tips & Tricks
- General Computer Knowledge2017.05.22Computer Aptitude Practice Set – 2017
- Announcements2017.05.18SBI PO Main Exam Preparation Strategy & Exam Pattern Expected
- Announcements2017.05.16SBI PO Prelims 2017 Results Out