Daily Current Affairs 23rd & 24th July 2016
1. India has ranked 110 out of 149 nations in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. This index is topped by Sweden.
2. Federal Bank signed an agreement with Reliance Jio Money for one-click payment service. Reliance Jio money is a wallet application that will be launched soon for mobile devices where Federal bank will enable a direct payment option for its customers.
3. Public Sector Company NHPC entered into a pact with Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) for undertaking hydro power projects in overseas markets.
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina have jointly inaugurated the second Integrated Check Post along the Benapole-Petrapole part of India – Bangladesh border.
5. Former French cyclist Dominique Arnaud died. He was 60.
6. In a bid to supply filtered drinking water to residents, Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) launched a community safe drinking water project as part of its corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiative and inaugurated Gurgaon’s first water ATM in Kasan village.
7. Indian Test Captain Virat Kohli became the first Indian to register a hundred in the Caribbean in Tests against West Indies by scoring unbeaten 143 runs in first match innings. Kohli became the 19th Indian batsman to score 3000 runs or more in Tests during this innings.
8. India’s ODI and T20 skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been named as the face and brand ambassador of the Craig McDermott International Cricket Academy (CMICA), a leading state of the art private cricket and educational sports academy in Australia.
9. Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the revival of a sick fertilizer plant and setting up of an All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) in Gorakhpur.
10. Delhi University Hindi professor, Gopeshwar Singh has been chosen for the ‘Dr. Ramvilas Sharma Alochna Award’ for the year 2015.
11. Amazon Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos became the third-richest person in the world. According to the list of billionaires released by Bloomberg, Jeff Bezos surpassed Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett for the first time to become the third richest person in the world.
12. Women and Child Development Minister of Rajasthan Anita Bhadel launched the ‘Lado Rani’ initiative run by the district administration for higher education of girls in Nagaur district.
13. Himachal Pradesh and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a pact for the second phase of crop diversification.
14. Reliance Defence and Engineering signed an agreement granting it the right and authority to build, operate and manage defence and commercial shipyard activities at Pipavav in Gujarat.
15. HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company and Shamrao Vithal Co-operative (SVC) Bank announced their bancassurance agency partnership to provide range of non-life insurance offerings to the customers of the bank.
16. Apple Inc. has won back the title of the ‘World’s Most Favorite Company’ from Alphabet Inc.’s Google in Future Brands’ Rankings for 2016.
17. Virat Kohli became the first Indian captain to hit a double hundred in abroad. Moreover, he became the highest scoring Indian captain in West Indies going past the previous mark of 150 runs of Rahul Dravid.
18. Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, launched the ‘Solar Power Tree’ in New Delhi.
19. India, one of the largest troop-contributing countries in UN peacekeeping operations, has contributed $100,000 to a trust fund set up for victims of sexual exploitation and abuse by peacekeepers, becoming the first country to make a contribution to the fund.
20. Modern Indian artist S H Raza died. He was 94.